My ears perked up, though, when I heard Rachel Ray mention candy sushi on her show many moons ago. A treat that looks like sushi but tastes like sweets?! Got my attention!
Now I tried to take a mental note of all Rachel said to do...but that was...maybe 3 years ago. When my sister said she wanted to have a luau-themed birthday party, I knew the perfect sweet...but how did Rachel do it? I couldn't remember...so I did what I always do...I waited until the night before & crossed my fingers, hoping to suddenly remember. I made a few adjustments, but somehow it turned out looking like the picture to the left! They were a big hit at the party.
Here's what I did (I'm sorry I didn't take pictures of the steps, I didn't realize I'd be doing a blog about this in the 3 months following):
What you Need:
Ingredients for Rice Crispy Treats
Additional bag of jumbo marshmallows
Green Fruit Roll-ups (I had to use Shrek roll-ups) :-)
Twizzlers (I used the different colored/flavored twizzlers)
* I also used a few different colored fruit roll-ups on mine
1) Make a batch of regular rice crispy treats (I added a bit more marshmallows & butter than the recipe called for so the treats would be pliable)
2) With wax paper & a rolling pan, I flattened the rice cripsy treats to maybe 3/4 of an inch thick. (3-4 inches wide, 8-10 inches long...or you can use the length of the twizzlers... & 3/4 of an inch thick) You probably will have enough rice crispy treat to make a couple of these.
3) Take the wax paper off. Place two twizzlers about 1/2" away from each other in the middle of the rice crispy. Length-side facing you roll up the rice crispy treat from back to front.
4) Take a green fruit roll up off the wrapper & wrap it around the log of rice crispy treat/twizzler goodness. If you can't wrap it all the way around, use another one to fill-up the open space.
5) Once you've got the length of the log covered, cut round slices about an inch or so thick. Voila...rice crispy/fruit roll-up/twizzler sushi...my favorite kind!
I took the jumbo marshmallows, used leftover fruit roll-ups & wrapped them around each marshmallow. On some of the marshmallows, I cut off the top & dipped them in pink sprinkles.
That's the whole spread...I lined up my bamboo placemats as a table runner and a tablecloth I found on clearance underneath it.